Sunday, May 25, 2008

Silly rabbit, Trix aren't for sailboats!

34.35 N, 43.56 W 

I wouldn't say the ocean is angry; but I wouldn't call it all too obliging either. I don't so much pick up the feeling of murderous rage, I rather liken it to an over-the-top super-diva who knows she can get away with being difficult. And proceeds to take full advantage of that privilege.


The seas have become much rougher in the past two days than they were in the first five. The Mojomo pitches to and fro, and I subsequently pitch to and fro inside the Mojomo. Nothing too violent, but my hips have taken a bit of bruising from banging into furniture. And I've hit my head on more things than normal. Let's just say I'm glad I haven't brought my grandmother along (I love you Grandma!).


Every time a wave comes up and smashes the against the underside of the hull it sounds like thunder and sends a shockwave through the whole boat. It's a bit un-nerving being alone on the night watch when you can only see darkness but the boat is lurching underneath you and the wind is whistling through the sails (don't worry mom, we have loads of safety equipment on board, both high-tech and low-tech).


It's the little things that get you, like not being able to eat your morning cereal at the table on deck, because as soon as you raise the spoon to your mouth, all the milk blows away.


It sure is beautiful though. Jon wasn't kidding about the color of the water. Never seen blue like this.


Don't tell anyone, but this is my first time on a sail boat!


Eric

 

BTW - Sorry about the egregious lack of photographs as of yet. As it turns out, there are very few Wi-Fi hot spots in the open ocean.


Thanks to my sister, Holly, for posting our writings to the blog from the text-only messages we are able to send her over the satellite phone.

2 comments:

davidmolnarBLOG.com said...

oh blue... i used to know the color. take it in.

Tamara said...

1. you know i'm DYING to see your photojournalism of this trip, eric!

2. EXCELLENT sytax and grammar

3. Keep on keepin on.