Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Weight-cutting mission!

I’ve been so consumed by my preparations to tour Europe on a bicycle, I’ve barely so much as even thought about the sailing bit. And I’m on a weight-cutting mission!

The other day, I packed up my all my gear into my bike trailer and attempted a solo bike-camping excursion into Southern California’s San Gabriel Mountains. I soon discovered with great certainty that this whole “touring” thing is much different than any biking I’ve ever known.

I am a pretty light dude who’s used to riding a pretty light bike. I’m used to having a ton of control over my machine and being able to put my skinny racing tires wherever I want them; no questions asked. This is very different than that. Towing 35lbs[?] of gear in a 13lb trailer will turn a once acutely maneuverable racing bike into a squirrelly, three-wheeled death-cycle with a will of it’s own.

Hills that were once barley a blip on the radar for my spry legs now deliver more lactic acid than I’d care to admit. My aluminum frame flexes and shudders under the newly added weight. As I endure the incline, I cant help but think “Aluminum frames aren’t supposed to flex and shudder. Aluminum breaks.”

I now find myself trying to decide what items on my packing list I absolutely need for this adventure and what items I do not.

I hope I make the right calls.

Eric

6 comments:

tiffany__dawn said...

don't cut out a camera. which i'm sure you won't. this is already fascinating and it hasn't yet begun.

Season said...

Don't leave your butt behind... you will want that for padding.

Ashley said...

i am so excited for you guys! God bless and keep us posted! :)

Nathan Weller said...

Dude that sounds intense! I hope you can figure out your weight issues and I can't wait to follow your adventures on here! keep updating!

davidmolnarBLOG.com said...

do you remember that time i was super excited for you guys?

Tony Farlow said...

Have the time of your life bud! Post lots of photos.