Sunday, June 15, 2008

Castles, Cliffs, and Crashes

We landed in Vilamoura, Portugal on the 7th to be greeted by Pat's family spraying champagne all over us. The next day Eric and I headed off on the bikes for a 5 day trip along the southern coast of Portugal. After so much planning for riding it was great to have everything work and us really find out we can do it. We rode a total of about 300km from Vilamoura to the far South Western point of the European continent and back.

The far point (and most of the southern coast, the Algarve) is famous for the huge cliffs bordering the ocean. Naturally, Eric and I set up tent right on the edge of the cliffs at the south-western most point of the continent. Talk about an epic view from your camp site!

The next night we camped at Ponte de Lagos along the Southern coast. We camped on the beach of a cove surrounded by the high cliffs. Lagos cliffs are much more diverse and not just sheer drop off. They have so many caves, land bridges, and islands. We explored these cliffs for endless hours, sometimes climbing, sometimes swimming to be able to get to new spots.

The last town we went to was Silves where we checked out a castle. We camped out in an orange grove that overlooked the castle. It was the garden of Orange gluttony. I had as many oranges in 12hrs as most people do for several months!

We are now back on Mojomo sailing in the Med. Sadly, Pat is no longer with us and has went back home with her family. So now it is just the 3 of us guys. Last night we stopped off in Marbella, the posh of the posh of southern Spain. It was the land of beautiful people, Ferraris and Lambo's, and people spending money just to spend it.

We will continue along the coast of Spain and in a few days get to Palma.


Jonathan



Crash Count:

Jonathan: 2

Eric: 0

And we'd like to keep it that way.

The first crash occurred on the very first day of our Portugal tour, not 10 Ks in. I am leading on a downhill and am dodging some crappy pavement sections. All of a sudden, I hear a great sliding/grinding noise from immediately behind me. Not good. I keep cool, come to a stop and then turn around. I see Jonathan, on his feet (happily), with bike and bags strewn all over the pavement. He was fine, and the bike required only minor tweaking

3 comments:

Savannah Jane Springer said...

Spring break I was about 40km northeast of Marbella...I was in Benalmáldena/Mijas...etc...kinda pretty and i spent some time on the beach (with euro nudies...not everyone in europe is gorgeous despite what people think!) but it wasn't my my favorite part of Spain...it was kinda of like the Key West for the english...the spanish countyside is amazing...it changes from sharp mountains cliffs to miles of olive groves to grassy plains...i loved it...sounds like you guys are having an awesome time; i'm quite jealous...

Unknown said...

Wow that's awesome guys. How long are you on you trip for? My wife Janna and I are moving to Belize Central America in 6 weeks. We'll be there for a year as missionaries. Youth is a great time for adventure for sure!

God Bless. Be safe. but not too safe :)

bradley.lanphear@gmail.com

Vercinkaaa said...

I met you in Waterparty Fiesta:)) Thank you for breakfast:) I´m realy happy that I know you, you are perfect guys!:) When you´ll sailing across the Prague, let me know:) And please send me some photos from Ibiza:) Thanks And have a nice trips:)) Veronika Prague