Friday, August 1, 2008

Alpe d'Huez

While Jonathan was playing in the sand in Spain, I was in the mountains taking care of some serious bike riding.

Call me what you’d like, but I enjoy riding my bike up big mountains. So upon leaving Pamplona, I decided to ride back over the Pyrenees Mountains into France. After pulling my trailer over the mountain range with surprising ease and time to spare, I turned my attention to some of the toughest climbs in the Pyrenees. I rode over the Col du Tourmalet two days in a row, enjoying the transition from the valley road by the river, up through the wooded areas, then above the treeline into the high meadows and bolder-fields, then up to the cliffs and literally into the clouds before reaching the top, before screaming back down again. It was great fun in the Pyrenees, but all the while I had a single goal in my mind: Alpe d’Huez.

Alpe d’Huez is the stuff of cycling legends. One of the most grueling climbs of the Tour de France and certainly the most famous, every climber in the world dreams winning atop this fabled mountain. I remember being in the middle of the Atlantic day-dreaming about the climb, my boat-mates calling me crazy.

13.8 Kilometers
21 Hairpin bends
3,350 ft elevation gain
Over the years the Alpe has become a proving ground for amateur cyclists, and during the summer months, the twisted road plays host to a constant stream of riders racing against the clock, many of whom require 2hrs to reach the top. By now, the place has become a cycling Mecca.

By the time Jonathan and I reached the bottom, my legs were absolutely spent from Chamonix, and I was in no shape to slay my dragon. Over the next two days, we watched the Tour de France come and go, and I had a great time running alongside the leading riders (I even made it on international TV!). Another day and several dozen bananas later, it was time for me to make my own assault, and by this time, I was ready. What I didn’t expect, however, was any company from Jonathan. He had spent the last two months expressing his distaste for any kind of uphill riding (using adjectives such as stupid, pointless, and the like), and literally laughing at the prospect of riding up the likes of Alpe d’Huez. But the night before I was to ride, he had a sudden change of heart and announced that he would ride as well!

I awoke the next morning feeling nervous with anticipation. My official goal was to ascend in the time of an hour and a half, but deep down, I really wanted to be on the quick side of 1’15”. I started off fast, on a pace that I could barely hold. The steepest bit is at the bottom, and I struggled to crest the knuckle before hitting the wall. I knew I had to concentrate and keep my body right on the limit, but none past. As the road wound farther up the mountain, I nearly cracked with 2Ks to go, but somehow managed to keep it together.

I made it. So did Jonathan!

The times:

Jonathan Jenkins: 1hr 20min

Eric Mackintosh: 1hr 03min

Lance Armstrong: 37min 36sec

-Eric

3 comments:

Stealingaway said...

keep it up kid. I'm dang proud of you!

We'll have to do it some day... and make it under an hour. Deal?

Tony Farlow said...

How long does it take in car...just kidding that's great. I need more photos.

Dave said...

Great job, Dude. You ROCK!

Dave